In this episode, we take in radical and divergent sounds from Greece, Turkey, Colombia, Tunisia, Tanzania, Japan, Ukraine and more. We kick off with a true contender for my album of the year ‘Ofiodaimon’ – the psych-folk & synth collaboration from the Greek producer Anatolian Weapons and folk musician Seirios Savvaidis.
We then dig into Turkish producer Grup Ses, who embarks on two divergent collaborations with hip hop artist Ethnique Punch and electric saz player Elektro Hafiz; we find out what happens when Chupame El Dedo try to recreate a variety of different heavy metal genres in a Latin tropical style; and Bristolian duo Harrga bring the fire on their multi-lingual debut.
There’s also field recordings of Tanzanian ‘Mnanda’ music featuring rhythms bashed out on cheap Casio keyboards; plus new music from Ifriqiyya Electrique, Helado Negro, Ukranian experimental duo Gamardah Fungus and Japanese mavericks Kukangendai.
Listen to Freak Wave 006:
- Anatolian Weapons feat. Seirios Savvaidis (Greece) – Ofiodaimon – from Ofiodaimon (Beats In Space)
- Grup Ses & Ethnique Punch (Turkey) – Hey Hey (Vox) – from Deli Divan (Discrepant)
- Grup Ses (Turkey / Germany) – Analog Şeytan (VIP Mix) – from Varyete (Zel Zele)
- Chupame El Dedo (Colombia) – Bolillo Cafre – from No Te Metas Con Satan (Souk)
- Ifriqiyya Electrique (Tunisia) – Danee Danee – from Laylet El Booree (Glitterbeat)
- Harrga (England / Spain) – Phone Recording – from Héroïques Animaux de la Misère (Avon Terror Corps)
- Mnanda (Tanzania) – Pambana / Shouts (Sam Jones Construct) – from Versus III (On The Corner)
- Helado Negro (U.S.) – Fantasma Vaga – from This Is How You Smile (RVNGIntl.)
- Kukangendai (Japan) – Singou – from Palm (Editions Mego)
- Gamardah Fungus (Ukraine) – Memories – from Kaleidoscope – Compilation of experimental music from Ukraine (Flaming Pines)
Episode Image: Grup Ses & Ethnique Punch